Arash Foroughi is a cartoon portrait, illustrator, painter and graphist. He was born in Khoram Abad in 1988. He awarded more than 50 prizes from national and international festival. He was also the judge of some festivals. Despite working in the fields of cartoon, illustration, and graphics, he has worked on cartoon portrait with a particular style that is based on exaggeration. So his cartoons are distinguished among the others and he doesn’t like similarity. Most of his prizes are in this field.
Arash Foroughi has awarded many prizes that most of them are foreign prizes such as the first prize in Brazil Paraguaja cartoon biennial 2014, the first prize in Italy Gallarate festival 2011, the first prize in China free cartoons web festival 2016, and the first prize in this festival in 2015, the special prize and the only Iranian person in cartoon part in Italy Tolentino biennial 2018, the special prize in Brazil Medplan 2018, the winner of the best work of the Beijing China Festival, the special prize in CISAC Korovasi 2015, the first prize in Syria cartoon 2015, 2018, and 2019, the first prize in international Holocaust cartoon and caricature festival 2016, the first prize in portrait cartoon in 4th international Fajr arts festival 2012, the first prize in international art of resistance festival 2017, the first prize in 6th national youth art biennial 1393, the first in prize Gaza international festival 2015, the first prize in China Cartoon net caricature 2008, the third prize in Amazon Brazil international humor festival 2017, the judge special award in Humo Deva Romania international festival 2017, the third prize in Syria international cartoon festival 2014, the second prize in Kusobukin Ukraine international festival, the special winner in Red man China festival 2015, and the special winner in Debut Poland cartoon festival 2014.
This artist has had also administrative responsibilities such as the manager of the stars world cartoonist 2018. Foroughi has been a judge in the several festivals such as Iran national Chelgi cartoon and caricature festival 2018 and International cartoon magazine site. As follow, we have interviewed him.
How did you become a cartoonist?
- When I was a child, I watched Professor Bahman Abdi’s program on T.V that he drew some cartoons and caricatures of the Islamic revolution events by the maker. So, I was interested in this art. When I was studying at vocational school, I acquired “Keyhan caricature”. I acquired master’s works, I also had used expert articles to learn more about caricature.
What was your first cartoon? Did you remember it?
- I had drawn Hossein Rezazadeh portrait but I think I had drawn Javad Alizade portrait better.
When and where did your first work publish?
- I had drawn Professor Mohammad Reza Shajarian portrait and it had been published in the Iran cartoon website.
What was your dream in childhood?
- I wished I get rich.
Now, what do you wish?
- I hope I work in this job forever and I think this is my goal, not my wish.
What was your first prize?
- The third prize in Gorgan International Muslim youth festival.
What was your last prize?
- The first prize Syria Cartoon
Which of your works, is your best work?
- Benjamin Netanyahu’s portrait caricature that it awarded the first prize in Holocaust international festival 2016.
What’s your last work?
- I drew 55 cartoon portraits for a great national company and also I drew some works for my new exhibition.
Do you work digitally or manually?
- Both of them, but more digitally.
What tool and application, do you use?
- I use synthetic tablet and Photoshop for designing my work.
Is it possible to teach the caricature and cartoon?
How about idea manufacturing?
- Yes, I think it is possible to teach it too.
Which is more important to you, idea or technic?
- Both of them are important. But the primary idea and form is more important. It is like film production, if there isn’t a good scenario, it’s impossible to produce a good film.
How an idea form in your mind?
- I study about the characteristic of that person, and I use many etudes.
How do you select a technic after you manufacture an idea?
- First I need to get a good illustration, then I start to draw it, I use some color etudes to find my ideal contrast. The details are executed step by step that is very time consuming and hard work.
Have you taught cartoon or caricature?
- No, but I have used Keyhan articles to learn about this art more.
What is the main feature of your works in terms of form, execution, and content?
- I find a good subject that is matched with the face I design, then I use the technic with great details and the style of my personal exaggeration.
I see many of your work that they are concentrated in cartoon portrait, do you work on other sections like illustration too?
- Yes, I actively work on cartoon, illustration, and painting portrait too but I am interested in caricature portrait more.
Exaggeration is very important in portrait caricature, but you use it in some elements of the face very much, what’s its reason?
- Yes, I use exaggeration more than other artists, because of my personal point of view. It may be strange, but I think the exaggeration has no border. The only thing should be considered is the similarity.
I think this exaggeration in your works, is turned to your special style. Have you achieved a special style and technic?
- According to famous foreign artists and honorable professors, my style is quite personal and recognizable. It is important for me that my works are not similar to other artists. In fact, I would like it when a visitor watch my work, his eyes see all the space constantly.
How much time do you usually spend on a work?
- If the work is customized, it takes 4 hours to 2 days. And if it is for the festival and exhibition, it takes between 7-10 days.
Is the simplicity or complexity of the form, related to the complexity or simplicity of the idea?
- No, sometimes complex ideas can be shown by simplicity forms and vice versa.
How effective are the awards and participating in domestic and foreign festivals, in developing your works?
- They create more motivation in me to produce new work and I try to have challenges with the best artists in the world.
Other than form, execution, and technic, what functions have the caricature, cartoon, and animations for you and what approaches do you use for the subjects?
- I love caricature very much, I do my best and it has no difference for me whether I send it for a festival or a friend.
In your opinion, how much a work should rely on form and idea, and content?
- The form is important in portrait cartoon but it should not be exhibitive also it should be in the frame of the character and content of the work.
Do you prefer one of these more important than the others?
- No, both should be in balance and complementary together.
What is the relationship between the form and content in a cartoon in terms of companionship?
- The form and idea should show the character and spirits of the subject.
What do you think about companionship, convergence, and synergy of these two groups to create valuable and great works?
- I’d like to achieve an image that it has a simple form and specific content.
What is your assessment of the international Trumpism cartoon and caricature competition?
- It’s a very ideal and professional festival. The organizer is very professional especially its good manager, Professor Seyyed Masoud Shojaee Tabatabaee that organizes the best national and international festivals. However, the greatest national and international cartoonists have attended this festival, so it’s an important world event.
Do you participate in this contest?
- Yes, I have participated with 2 works in caricature part.
Who is the best foreign caricaturist in your opinion?
- Sebastian Kruger
Which Iranian artist do you like?
- Professor Javad Alizade and Professor Masoud Shojaee Tabatabaee
What is the best movie have you ever seen?
- I like Scuzzi’s movies.
Who is the best Iranian and foreign actor in your opinion?
- Among Iranian actor I like Behrouz Vosoughi and among foreigner Robert Deniro.
What is the best book have you ever read?
- Sadegh Hedayat’s Boufe Koor
Which Iranian artist do you most in contact with?
- Ali Akbar Aryanfar and Hadi Asadi
What is your opinion about Iran cartoon website?
- It’s a great and professional website, and in fact it’s a main media for cartoonist and caricaturist in Iran.
Do you have any special talk?
- I appreciate you and your cooperators in Iran cartoon website.
Thank you that spend your time with us.