Theme: People and ideas behind bars
Olense Kartoenale 2019
Rules And Regulations
The contest is open to all persons irrespective of age and nationality.
There are 2 categories:
• Youth Category: 15 years and younger.
• Adult Category: 16 years and older.
Both professional and non-professional cartoonists are allowed to participate in this contest.
The main theme is ‘From bovine to handbag, from ox to leather pants, from cow to elegant shoe’.
This year, Amnesty International is offering a special prize to the best cartoon with the theme ‘People and ideas behind bars’.
More information about the themes can be found in annex to this document.
• The entries have to be submitted in digital format and shouldn't contain any explanation of the drawing.
• The entries have to be uploaded in JPEG format with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi (2480 x 3508 pixels)..
• Dimensions include any passe-partout 21 x 30 cm (A4).
• Number of entries per contestant: maximum 5 submissions for each theme.
• You have to fill in your contact details at www.olensekartoenale.be (Click “Register”).
• You can sign up for participation from 1 july 2019 onwards.
• Winners will be requested to send the original drawings of the winnings cartoons.
• This should be sent to Community Olen, Dorp 1, 2250 Olen, Belgium within 2 days after the request is made by the organization.
4. Property Rights
Prize-winning drawings will become the property of the organizer or theme sponsor.
The selected drawings may be used by the organizers to promote the contest and the village of Olen.
The jury consists of artists, cartoonists and laymen.
Decisions made by the jury cannot be challenged.
6. Catalogue/Cartoon Book
Selected entries will be considered for inclusion in a catalogue.
The authors of these entries will receive a free copy of the catalogue during the prize award ceremony or afterwards by mail.
7. Deadline: 21 september 2019
The deadline is 21 september 2019 at 12.00 AM midnight.
The entry form can be found at www.olensekartoenale.be (Click "Register") where you can also upload your entries.
1st Prize : 1500 euro
1st Prize : 200 euro
2nd Prize : 700 euro
2nd Prize : 175 euro
3rd Prize : 400 euro
3rd Prize : 150 euro
4th Prize : 300 euro
4th Prize : 100 euro
Prize of the city of Bialogard (only for Polish participants) : 200 euro
Special prize Amnesty International : 350 euro
9. Prize Award Ceremony And Exhibition
The prize award ceremony will take place on Friday, 15 November 2019 at approximately 20.00h in the council room of the town hall of Olen, Dorp 1, 2250 Olen.
All contestants are welcome to the occasion.
Only the winners will be personally invited.
A selection of the cartoons will also be exhibited at the same address and can be visited on:
• Sunday, 17 November 2019
• All working days from Monday, 18 November 2019 till the end of december 2019:
09.00 u – 12.00 u 13.00 u – 16.00 u 17.30 u – 20.00 u
09.00 u – 12.00 u
09.00 u – 12.00 u 13.00 u – 16.00 u
09.00 u – 12.00 u
09.00 u – 12.00 u
“From bovine to handbag, from ox to leather pants, from cow to elegant shoe”
The Belgian company Sopraco is an important distributor of veal and beef in Europe. This company delivers meat for wholesale, retail, butcheries and catering industry. Recently Sopraco has been specialising in upgrading the skins of cows and bovines to manufacture leather. Bovines used to produce veal predominantly are male animals from dairy farms. Next to nothing gets lost in this process of meat production. Even the animal’s skin is being transformed to a fine product: leather. Explicit images are not welcome.
"People and ideas behind bars"
People and ideas behind bars. Sitting behind bars, what does that mean to you? How difficult is it being alone in a cell or with others? Your thoughts and dreams are they shakled as well? Is time a gift, an opportunity for reflection or rather a curse? Are there despite the confinement still positive aspects to this experience? Is art an option, a voice, a release?