Theme: Peace and Friendship in the works of the three brilliant poets Saadi, Hafiz, and Mowlana
The First International Festival of Peace Illustration in the Narrations of Saadi, Hafiz and Mowlana
For centuries, distinguished poets and scholars have admired the works of Saadi, Hafiz, and Mowlana, the three open minded Iranian Persian poets whose humanitarian thoughts are clearly reflected in their collected works. Their poems offer lots of recommendations on making peace and philanthropic efforts which can lay the ground for establishing peace and friendship between all people and nations.
The First International Festival of Peace Illustration in the Narrations of Saadi, Hafiz and Mowlana is hosted by Shiraz, the cultural capital of Iran and the birthplace and home of Saadi and Hafiz, the two outstanding Persian poets who have gained worldwide fame.
The competition themes:
Peace and Friendship in the works of the three brilliant poets Saadi, Hafiz, and Mowlana
When territory can be taken by gentle means,
Shed not blood by your strivings in conflict:
By your manhood! All earth’s rule
Is not worth one blood-drop’s trickling to earth!
I’ve heard that Jamshid of blessed constitution
Wrote thus upon a stone above a wellspring:
At this spring many like us have drawn breath,
Then gone on as they closed their eyes:
We’ve taken the world in manliness and force,
But carried it not with us into the tomb!
The sons of Adam are limbs of each other
Having been created of on essence.
When the calamity of time afflicts one limb
The other limbs cannot remain at rest.
If thou hast no sympathy for the name of a man.
Plant the tree of friendship, that, to fruit, the heart’s desire bringeth:
Up-pluck the bush of enmity, that countless troubles bringeth.
The ease of two worlds is the explanation of these two words:
With friends, kindness; with enemies, courtesy.
Be in love with God, the Only True Friend, and keep away from His enemies
Think fair and be fair so that you can turn evils away
If you are going to war with me here
I'll do keep peace with you dear
And if you start a war with me, I'll go to a peaceful place
As the God's world is not limited in any case
One world is at war but what reigns over the other world is peacefulness
It is only in the meaningful world that what matters is not to make conquest
Water and fire, like reason and love, are brothers
And they represent the same essence, although seemingly different to others
Terms and Conditions:
1. It is a free to enter competition and open to anyone over the age of 18
2. Participants are needed to provide their full names, postal address, email address, their phone number and submit a brief biography of themselves along with their submitted works.
3. Every participants should illustrate at least one of the poems specified by the competition organizers.
4. At least a 3-step sequencing picture, i. e. three single or multiple framed illustration should be provided for each relevant poem.
5. Participants should send the selected poem(s) along with their submitted work(s).
6. Participants can submit one to five works for consideration.
7. The illustrations can be black and white or colored.
8. There is no limitation in the use of digital or manual painting techniques.
9. To submit their works, participants should send them by email to the following address:
10. The submitted works should be in A3 or A4 paper sizes.
11. The size of the sent file should not be more than 2 MB.
12. The competition organizer, Shiraz Municipality, shall reserve its absolute right to publish the submitted works and use the selected works for the purposes of advertising or holding a public exhibition.
13. The selected works will be published in a high quality book-sized exhibition catalogue and sent to the selected artists.
14. Participants need to follow @peace_contest on Instagram for receiving important news about the reviewer panel, winners, and exhibition of the selected works.
15. Participants should ensure the originality of the submitted works and will be responsible for any potential legal consequences of violating the conditions of participation.
1st Prize: $1500 + Honorary Diploma + Shiraz Peace and Friendship Medal
2nd Prize: $900 + Honorary Diploma
3rd Prize: $600 + Honorary Diploma
Submission deadline: Nov.,15 2021