Rakha's 1st International Caricature Competition (1stTeacher) Egypt
Within the framework of the unremitting efforts of the Memory Of Caricature projectto preserve the Egyptian cartoon heritage, and rewrite and celebrate the history of its early pioneers; The Memory Of Caricature project, in cooperation with the Syrian International Cartoon site, announces the holding of a Caricature portrait competition; It deals with the character of the late Egyptian cartoonist: Muhammad Abdel MoneimRakha (1910-1989), on the occasion of the celebration of the 110th anniversary of his birth.
The goal of the competition
Celebrating the first teacher and headmaster of the Egyptian Caricature School on the 110thanniversary of his birth.
Rakha in brief
Rakha was born in 1910, and began drawing Caricature at an early age, and published his work in a number of Egyptian newspapers and magazines in 1927. His star shined at the beginning of the thirties of the last century,though he took the initiative to publish the magazine "Ishmana". It did not continueThe magazine published only two issues, and during his work in Al-Mashhour magazine, which was attacking the prime minister and the government, the charge of defamation in the royal self was fabricated for Rakha, and the magazine was closed and Rakha was sentenced to four years in prison, making Rakha the first prisoner in the history of modern Egyptian Caricatures. After his release from prison, Rakha worked with a number of magazines, including AL Mousaour and Rose Al-Youssef and EL Ethnin, and hefinaly settled in 1944 with Ali and Mustafa Amin at Dar Akhbar Al-Youm Foundation, which he was one of its founders.. And he continued with it until he departed from us in 1989, after a journey full of giving. It lasted nearly six decades ..during which he published his only book, "Laughing Pictures", in 1946, he created many caricatures that are still stuck in minds today, including: Ibn al-Balad, Bint al-Balad, RafiaHanim, Sabaa Effendi, Homar (Donkey) Effendi and others. Dozens of Caricaturists were taught by him, among them, to name a few, are the lateZohdi Al-Adawi and Ahmed Toughan.
Caricature Portrait of the Artist: Rakha.
A maximum of two works can be participated with.
- Submissions are in JPEG format, dpi 300 - The size of the panel is 29 x 42 cm, provided that the size of the panel does not exceed 2 MB. The participant sends a short CV and a personal photo.
- Writes the name of the painter and the country on the submitted drawing according to the following form: ABDALLAH EL-SAWY-EGYPT
-The work must be new and have not participated in any other competitions.
- The works of the participating artists are to be used in posters, magazines, newspapers and websites inside and outside Egypt. Without prior permission from the participating artists, in order to promote the event.
- The organizer has the right to exclude works that did not comply with the proper conditions of the competition.
- The exhibition will be announced at a later date. Deadline for receiving works: July 31, 2021. - The drawings are to be sent to the following email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Many incentive prizes will be distributed and all participants will be awarded certificates of participation.