- Sat, 17 Oct 2020 10:43:06 +0330
Asier Sanz (Bilbao, 1969) is an illustrator, graphic humorist. and collage artist.
He began publishing in the Bilbao newspaper in 1987, and then continued his career in the magazine Athletic, Deia, ETB, TVE and Mundo Deportivo. Since 1999, he has also been part of the graphic humor couple Asier and Javier.
The result of this relationship is the publication of daily strips in Diario 16 and Diario Metro, in addition to collaborating in El Jueves, Deia, Mercado de Dinero, Onda Vasca, Pride and Satisfaction, Bilbao newspaper, Bilbao Pocket Guide and 20 minutes. Asier has also continued to publish solo in Qué Nervión, BAO magazine, Noticias de Gipuzkoa, Tapas magazine, El País Semanal, Diario16 magazine, We Demain (France), Kronen Zeitung (Austria), The Cartoon Movement (Netherlands), The Nation ( USA), Reason Magazine (USA), The New Zealand Herald (New Zealand) and Republik magazine (Switzerland). He has devised and developed advertising campaigns and illustrated several books: La tira de laughs. Athletic 1991-98; Bilbao, Magic Labyrinth (Bilbao City Council); Basque pirates (Elea); Whalers and corsairs. Basque Odyssey in the North Atlantic (Elea); Athletic, karajo (Beta Editions); Luky, a lucky dog (Beta Editions); Save whoever we can! The crisis in 165 bullets (Beta editions); Andersen´en ipuinak (Urduliz City Council); Max lives in Bilbao (Ediciones Beta) and Olentzero molón (Urduliz City Council).
His works have been awarded several prizes:
- Audience Award at the 58th International Cartoon Contest Golden Hat 2019 Knokke- Heist (Belgium)
- First Prize of the 23rd Graphic Humor Contest of Fene Humor 2019
- First Prize for caricature of the 11th Salão Medplan de Humor 2019 (Brazil)
- Bilbao Villain of Honor 2019
- Berri Onak Sariak Award 2018
- First Prize of the 7th GIN Graphic Humor Contest of the Quevedo Institute of Humor 2017
- First Prize for caricature “Luigi Mari” at the 29 Biennale Internazionale dell´Umorismo nell´Arte 2017 (Italy)
- Prize of the Public 29 Biennale Internazionale dell´Umorismo nell´Arte 2017 (Italy)
- Cover of Donald Trump chosen as the cover of the book of the best covers in the world that have been published about Trump and that is collected in the book "Fake Views? The Donald Trump Book Covers ”written by Ben Arogundade. It went viral worldwide and was exhibited at the Design Museum of London (2018)
- First Prize of the VI International Competition d´Humor Graphic Caragoler 2013
- Third Prize in the Young and Brilliant International Competition J&B 1998
- Selected at the 19th World Press Catoon 2019 (Portugal)
- Selected at the 4th World Humor Awards 2019 (Italy)
- Selected at the 18th World Press Catoon 2018 (Portugal)
- Selected at the 3rd World Humor Awards 2018 (Italy)
- Selected at the 20th Porto Cartoon 2018 (Portugal)
- Selected at the 10th International Sala de humor Medplan 2018 (Brazil)
- Selected at the 45th Salao Internacional de Humor Piracicaba 2018 (Brazil)
- Selected in the 8th Graphic Humor Competition 2019 GIN (Spain)